Wednesday, October 25, 2006

talking about hospital, nursing home, Hari Raya and Malay food

so, my dad was finally discharged from the hospital and being transferred over to the nursing home. the discharge procedure was hurried and the ambulance personnel had to rush. in the end, we left the hospital without having the chance to even say thank you to the staff nurse.

on the way to the nursing home,, whilst being seated in the ambulance, next to my father, I looked out at the many unfamiliar environment and surroundings in which I have never been to before all these years growing up in Singapore.

today, being Hari Raya, I witnessed the many Malay families who were dressed up in their festive best. In fact, I was really impressed how they colour coordinate amongst the family members - I saw this 3 generation family all dressed in baby pink with 1 particular lady who had a svelte figure, and who combined the best of east-west dressing with a pair of slim black pants and a pink kebaya-style top - i thought it was absolutely stunning. Then I saw another family in black and gold combi as well as one other family in all white.

I have always been amazed at the unity and bond the Malays bear and share. I remember when my dad was still in SICU, this Malay family will have the whole gang of their family members plus relatives as well as family friends, who would gather and sit around occupying 2 different sections of the 4 part visitors area. They would often greet one another in their traditional way - shaking hands, kissing their hands, bringing it to their hearts or even hugging each other among members of the same gender.

We would be amazed and often than not, secretly admire this traits they so very possess. how wonderful and how great a community they are.

talking about Malays, I have been eating lots of Malay food I have been so badly deprived while living in Melbourne - changi village nasi lemak, mee rebus, lontong, mee siam, mee soto, bergedel, tauhu telur, ikan goreng, vegetable curry, sardine puffs, putu piring etc. I remember my friends and I used to patronise the 2 Malay cook food stalls in secondary school nearly everyday despite the long queues and our favourite dish - kway teow goreng!! Hmm, I shall also hunt down that Nasi Padang stall i used to patronise many years back and eat to my hearts content. one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home