Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I Love Popiah


Being a Hokkien, my family used to make Popiah and we all LOVE it coz it is healthy despite the tremendous amount of effort and time required to prepare and make it. Although in Singapore, it would have been easier to buy the skin from that uncle in the market who makes and sells them FRESH!

However, being here in Melbourne, I have, but to make my own skin in order to eat the food I missed most. And boy, that took me ONE whole day just to prepare the skins for a party I had for about 30 people including kids last August.

Anyway, here are the recipes for making the popiah skin with eggs. (No, you dont do it the way it was in Eat Drink Man Woman)- I had a crepe pan and made them piece by piece.

Recipe 1:
5 eggs
1 1/2 cup cold water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1 cup plain flour

Method : Beat eggs & water until well mixed (but not too frothy). Add salt, oil and flour and beat till smooth. Allow to rest for 30 mins. Slightly oil pan and pour batter in.

Recipe 2:
3 eggs
800ml water
260g flour
80g tapioca flour
50ml oil
1tsp salt
yellow colouring (optional)

Method: Lightly beat eggs & stir in water. Gradually add the mixture to the 2 types of flour and salt. Mix well to a batter. Add oil & strain. Leave aside for 20-30 mins. Heat non-stick pan and pour batter in using a ladle.

Popiah ingredients by order to layer them onto the popiah skin:
sweet soy sauce
chilli sauce
grounded crushed peanuts
lettuce leaves
coriander
bean shoots
egg omelette
chinese sausages (optional)
shrimps (optional)
cooked bang-kuang (turnips)stewed with deep fried tofu (cut into strips), leeks, beans, carrots and bamboo shoots and a bit of pork belly strips and/or shrimps

enjoy !

4 Comments:

At Mon Mar 27, 11:55:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember this occasion, Elaine. Thanks for inviting us and I must say I have never tasted any popiah as good as the one you made! It's quite daunting looking at the recipe but I still prefer to be invited once again to sample your popiah. You have extraordinary culinary skill! I need to learn more from you.

 
At Tue Mar 28, 12:01:00 AM 2006, Blogger Elaine Choi said...

thanks mr and mrs clownfish and the 4 little clownfishes - you guys are most welcome over here for a meal. what are good friends for.

 
At Tue Apr 18, 11:44:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aiyo, I begin to miss yr mum's popiah. Remember we used to have it at your St Michael's house when we were... much younger?

 
At Mon Apr 24, 11:27:00 PM 2006, Blogger Elaine Choi said...

aiyah finally saw your comments Jaslyn. aiyoh we so old already yah ? *slap forehead*....hehe....me too i miss the st michaels and miss the homecooked popiah too...yummylicious!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home